CHICAGO, Sept.26, 2013 — The American Dental Association (ADA) is offering dentists a digital drug reference guide called “ADA/PDR Dental Therapeutics Online.”
ADA/PDR Dental Therapeutics Online” is a digital version of the book, “Dental Therapeutics,” and the Physician’s Desk Reference (PDR) 3D database of drugs.
“ADA/PDR Dental Therapeutics Online” is arranged in three sections:
· Section I focuses on drugs prescribed primarily by dentists, so that the practitioner can readily prescribe them with a full understanding of their actions, adverse effects, and interactions.
· Section II focuses on drugs prescribed primarily by physicians. It presents drug information in a more abbreviated form, emphasizing each drug’s effect on dental diagnosis and treatment planning.
· Section III focuses on issues related to dental pharmacology that affect the dentist’s practice, including evidence-based information on herbs and dietary supplements and information and online resources from the ADA Council on Scientific Affairs that demonstrate its support of advances in dental science. The topics presented in Section III are not addressed in most dental drug handbooks.
Key features include:
· A special chapter authored by the ADA’s Council on Scientific Affairs designed to provide readers with easy access to dental therapeutics and oral health information.
· Data on dosage, interactions, precautions, and adverse effects.
· Clear, well-organized tables on dental therapeutic agents that offer rapid access to information on common drugs used in dentistry, including therapeutic products that carry the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
· An evidence-based overview of herbs and dietary supplements.
· A chapter on oral manifestations of systemic agents.
· Appendices covering drug-related issues such as substance abuse, tobacco-use cessation, agents that affect the fetus and nursing infant, and many others.
An online subscription to ADA/PDR Dental Therapeutics also provides access to PDS3D, a digital reference product that pairs the largest human drug label database available with an intuitive search platform, allowing users to efficiently secure critical label information. The database is updated daily and includes information on more than 50,000 prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
The ADA is providing a courtesy subscription to all senior dental students to help ease the transition into dental practice, thanks to a generous grant from the Colgate-Palmolive Company.
The ADA worked with the editor Dr. Sebastian Ciancio, 27 leading practitioners, Colgate Palmolive and Physician’s Desk Reference (PDR) to transform the book “Dental Therapeutics” into a digital drug reference for dentists.
“ADA/PDR Dental Therapeutics Online” (X064)is $69.95 for ADA members and $104.95 retail. To purchase this resource, please visit adacatalog.org or call the ADA Member Service Center at (800) 947-4746.