Chicago (June 23, 2015) — More than 2,100 individuals gathered in Nashville, Tenn., June 17-23, 2015, for the 2015 American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA) Center for Lifelong Learning at the 92nd Annual Session. The ADHA is proud to announce its various award winners from this year’s event — awardees who epitomize the commitment and professionalism of those involved in the field of dental hygiene, and who are dedicated to improving the public’s oral and overall health.
Here are the 2015 award winners:
• ADHA Award for Excellence in Dental Hygiene (sponsored by Johnson & Johnson). The winners of these awards personify what those in the dental hygiene profession strive to exemplify to their patients, communities, and the world through a career dedicated to improving oral and overall health.
o Linda Jorgenson, RDH, BS, RF; Rivers Falls, Wis.
o Deborah M. Lyle, RDH, BS, MS; Morris Plains, N.J.
o Kelly Tanner Williams, RDH, MSDH; Williamsburg, Va.
The first honorary award for excellence in dental hygiene was awarded to:
o Christine A. Charles, RDH; Teaneck, N.J.
• Esther Wilkins Future Leader Award (sponsored by Hu-Friedy). Awarded to a dental hygienist demonstrating leadership within five years of graduating from a dental hygiene program.
o Winner: L. Whitney Howerton, RDH, BS, BA; Memphis, Tenn.
• Irene Newman Award (sponsored by Colgate). Awarded for outstanding advancement of the art and science of dental hygiene.
o Winner: Patricia L. Brinkman-Falter, RDH, BSDH, MS, COM; Lincoln, Neb.
• Alfred C. Fones Award. Awarded for lasting contributions to the dental hygiene profession over the last 25 years.
o Winner: Tricia Osuna, RDH, BSDH, FAADH; Redondo Beach, Calif.
• Colgate/ADHA Community Outreach Award. This award honors components that have implemented significant community outreach programs that focus on preventive oral health care.
o Winner: Snohomish County Dental Hygienist's Society, represented by Vicki Munday, RDH, BS; Lake Stevens, Wash.
• Student Member Community Service Award (sponsored by Colgate). This award recognizes a student member chapter that has demonstrated outstanding community service activities.
o Winner: SUNY Canton Dental Hygiene Class of 2015; Rome, N.Y.
• Crest Oral-B/ADHA Award for Clinical Dental Hygienists. This award acknowledges the contributions dental hygienists make in their patients’ lives, particularly when it comes to the impact of patient education and the critical role oral health plays in total health.
o Winner: Nora Lugaila, BS, RDH, PHDHP, Coraopolis, Pa.
• Crest Oral-B/ADHA Educator of the Year. Awarded to an educator who demonstrates excellence in teaching, mentoring and helping students achieve their goals.
o Winner: Joanna L. Allaire, RDH, MDH; The Woodlands, Texas
• ADHA Sigma Phi Alpha Journalism Award (sponsored by Johnson & Johnson). This award recognizes two students, one at the baccalaureate level and one at the master’s level, who have written a review or original research paper that contributes to dental hygiene’s overall body of knowledge and meets the rigorous quality standards of the ADHA’s Journal of Dental Hygiene.
o Master’s/Doctoral Category: Danette R. Ocegueda, RDH, MS; Woodland, Calif.
o Baccalaureate Category: Lauren Ashlee Kanzigg, BSDH; Holly Springs, N.C.
• Hu-Friedy/ADHA Master Clinician. Awarded for the demonstration of expertise in bringing clinical practice and patient education together.
o Winner: Emily J. Boge, RDH, BS, MPA; Farley, Iowa
• DENTSPLY/ADHA Graduate Student Clinicians Program. This program encourages and promotes graduate dental hygiene students to participate in and conduct dental hygiene research, and present their findings in a poster competition.
o Third Place: Amy Molnar, RDH, BSDH; The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
o Second Place: Courtney Perrachione, RDH; Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho
o First Place: Danette Ocegueda, RDH; University of Missouri–Kansas City, Kansas City, Mo.
If you would like further information about the awards and awardees, please contact ADHA Director of Communications John Iwanski at firstname.lastname@example.org. Images of award winners are available upon request.