MADISON, Wis. (5/9/14) — The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) recently awarded 11 deserving dental students a trip to its annual meeting, AACD 2014, at no charge through the APEX scholarship program.
The APEX scholarship provides students with education through hands-on workshops and lectures at its annual scientific session, along with networking opportunities. This year, students traveled to Orlando April 30-May 3 for a comprehensive cosmetic dentistry educational experience.
This year’s winners are:
- Walberto Cantu, Marquette University
- Charles W. Vittitow, University of Kentucky
- Adam Barry Hammerbeck, Marquette University
- Leah Christine McQuigg, University of Colorado
- Zuleidy D. Arencibia, University of Puerto Rico
- Jessica Leigh Tucker, University of Tennessee
- Vera Telyakova, University of Toronto
- Natalie Ann Lesinski, University of Colorado
- Ida Zarrabi, University of CA - San Francisco
- Alexander Rubinov, Columbia University
- Andi-Jean Miro, New York University
The experience was especially helpful for Cantu, who was able to take classes beyond the scope of his dental school curriculum. “As a dental student we are limited to the training and education that we get at school,” Cantu said. “The courses that are offered here are second to none. I took classes ranging from dental implants, 5 layering technique restoring a Class IV lesion, to how to increase the profit of your practice. The highlight of the conference was learning from Dr. Newton Fahl, Jr. at one of his hands-on workshops.”
Lesinski appreciated the connections she made with other dental professionals in the field, including AACD President Dr. Jack Ringer.
“The community of dentists I had the opportunity to interact with were outstanding- top cosmetic dentists of the world. In fact, everyone I met was more than willing to help me grow as a current student and future dentist,” she said.
The AACD APEX Student Scholarship includes:
- Registration fees to the annual scientific session ($125 undergraduate)
- Round-trip coach-class airfare (up to a $500 value)
- Hotel accommodations for the annual scientific session ($1,000 value)
- One year of AACD membership ($20 undergraduate)
Dental students are eligible to apply for the scholarships and are judged on academic achievement, and their understanding of and commitment to the future of cosmetic dentistry.
For more information, visit: www.aacd.com/apex.