Join the American Association of Endodontists in celebration of the eighth annual Root Canal Awareness Week, March 30 – April 5, 2014. Rooth Canal Awareness Week is a national effort to raise awareness of endodontists, so that patients and general dentists know to contact a specialist when a root canal is needed. It is an excellent time to explain the important role endodontists play in dental health and to teach the public that root canals should not be feared, the AAE says.
Below are AAE resources designed to help dental professionals advocate for good dental health and root canal safety. It is in the best interest of patients to understand there is no valid, scientific evidence linking root canals to cancer or other health problems, and also to understand the advancements in modern dentistry that make endodontic treatment predictable, effective, and successful. These resources can be shared with patients who inquire about misinformation they may have encountered.
- Root Canal Safety Fact Sheet – explains the history of focal infection theory and research showing that there is no valid, scientific evidence linking endodontically treated teeth and systemic disease.
- Root Canal Safety Talking Points – to help address questions from patients about the safety of endodontic treatment.
- Myths About Root Canals – patient-focused information explaining the safety and effectiveness of root canal treatment.
- Tooth Saving Tips - patient-focused resource explaining why saving a tooth is the preferred choice for optimal health.
- JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery study – research found that a patient’s risk of cancer doesn’t change after having a root canal treatment; in fact, patients with multiple endodontic treatments had a 45 percent reduced risk of cancer. (Tezal M, et al. Dental Caries and Head and Neck Cancers. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139(10):1054-60, Oct. 2013.)
- Endodontists Put Root Canal Patients at Ease – video educating patients about endodontic specialists and root canal procedures.
- Endodontists: Partners in Patient Care – video explaining the relationship between general dentists and endodontic specialists.
For more information, visit www.aae.org/rootcanalsafety.