LED Medical Inc. Announces VELscope® Vx Results from REALITY Review
Posted on March 24, 2014
BURNABY, British Columbia – March 05, 2014 – LED Medical Diagnostics Inc. (“LED Medical” or the “Company”) is pleased to announce that the VELscope® Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment System has received a REALITY’S CHOICES rating of 4.5 stars (out of a possible 5).
REALITY’s evaluators were tasked with implementing the VELscope® Vx system into their practices and evaluating its features, including clinical utility, ease-of-operation, camera system use, and marketing materials.
The VELscope® Vx device was very well received by the evaluators and the following strengths were highlighted:
Requires no rinses;
Solid research base;
Well received by appreciative patients;
Short examination time;
Convenient cordless design;
Easy to attach camera system enables clinicians to easily record images and monitor mucosal lesions.
“We are very pleased to receive a standout rating on the REALITY evaluation,” states Dr. David Gane, CEO of LED Medical. “In addition to acknowledging the VELscope® Vx device as an improvement over its predecessor on many features, the REALITY evaluators also were able to detect mucosal lesions invisible to the naked eye and provide their patients with suitable follow-up.”
According to REALITY: “Slightly more than half (57%) of evaluators found lesions that were not visible without using it, while the remaining 43% did not find any lesions during the evaluation period. Of those evaluators who found lesions, half decided to put them on watch and check them again in several months, 25% reported that no lesions were found to be malignant, and 25% found at least one malignant lesion. One evaluator found three areas of concern and referred to an oral surgeon. One area that was biopsied was malignant and required extensive surgery.”
“We were pleased to learn that VELscope® Vx technology helped the evaluators in the discovery of potentially pre-cancerous and cancerous tissues,” states Dr. Gane. “The VELscope® Vx device is an imaging modality which is extremely sensitive to tissue changes, and its use in everyday practice can provide timely information to dentists and hygienists to enable earlier detection of abnormal tissues and provide better outcomes for patients.”
REALITY is a full service information resource and product testing company, with its publications collectively considered the “bible of cosmetic dentistry.” The Editorial Team has also grown to 37 of the most respected and highly renowned dental professionals in the world. With 9 international members on the Editorial Team, REALITY has become the final word in esthetics around the world. REALITY offers a full array of online services, such as REALITY ONLINE LECTURES and REALITY RESPONDS Q&A service. The REALITY ESTHETICS database contains 900 evaluations and previews covering general and esthetic products.
About VELscope® Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment
The distinctive blue-spectrum light of the VELscope® Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment System causes the soft tissues of the mouth to naturally fluoresce. Healthy tissues fluoresce in distinct patterns that are visibly disrupted by trauma or disease, such as neoplastic lesions, chemical irritation, side-effects from medication, thermal damage, fungal, viral or bacterial infections. Use of the VELscope® Vx adjunctive device allows a wide variety of oral abnormalities to be discovered, often before they become apparent to the unassisted eye. It is also the only tissue fluorescence device with photo/video documentation capabilities through the viewing mechanism, a key function for referrals and patient records.
Today VELscope® systems are used to conduct more examinations for oral cancer and other oral diseases than any other adjunctive device. To date, more than 12,000 VELscope® systems are in use globally and dental practitioners have performed more than 25 million exams.
About LED Medical Diagnostics Inc.
Founded in 2003 and headquartered in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, LED Medical Diagnostics Inc. is a leading developer of LED-based visualization technologies for the medical industry. The Company is currently listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX-V) under the symbol “LMD”, the OTCQX under the symbol “LEDIF”, as well as the Frankfurt Stock Exchange under the symbol “LME”. For more information, visit www.ledmd.com.
Through its wholly-owned subsidiary, LED Dental Inc., the company manufactures the VELscope® Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment System, the first system in the world to apply tissue fluorescence visualization technology to the oral cavity. For more information, call 604.434.4614 or visitwww.leddental.com.